The BEACHCOMBERS Sweepstakes-Rules and Conditions
The Beachcombers Sweepstakes
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCE OF WINNING. Void where prohibited or restricted by law. “The Beachcombers Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open to legal residents of the contiguous United States, excluding Rhode Island. Entrants must be at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry. Sweepstakes is not open to officers, directors, employees or agents of Random House, Inc. (the “Sponsor”), or Sponsor’s parent(s), divisions, subsidiaries and/or affiliated companies, licensees, advertising and promotional agencies (collectively, the “Excluded Parties”). Immediate family members, their children and spouses, and persons living in the household of Excluded Parties are not eligible to enter or win. Sweepstakes is and shall hereafter be subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
2. ENTER IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
a. By visiting www.thayerbook.com and providing your name, address, age, daytime phone number, and e-mail address as requested.
b. By sending a text message entry (“Text Message Entry”) from a cellular telephone. For a valid Text Message Entry, an Entrant must text the word “THAYER” to 72636. Entrant’s wireless service provider may charge Entrant for each text message Entrant sends, and Entrant shall be responsible for any and all costs associated with standard text messaging rates. Please consult your wireless service provider regarding their pricing plans. Entrant must be a wireless service subscriber with text messaging service, using a participating service provider in order to enter via this method. Not all cellular phone providers carry the necessary service to participate. Check your phone and service capabilities for specific text messaging instructions. .
c. By scanning a QR code entry (“QR Code Entry”) from a cellular telephone.
Only entries submitted electronically, in accordance with these rules, by one of the above-described methods of entry, will be eligible for consideration, and all entries must be received by Sponsor during the Entry Period as defined below. Incomplete or inaccurate entries will be deemed void. Sponsor is not responsible for computer, telephone or other malfunction resulting in late, lost or misdirected entries. Entries will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder, as of the time of entry, of the e-mail address or cellular telephone from which submission occurs. The “authorized account holder” of an e-mail address means the natural person who is assigned to the e-mail address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail. The “authorized account holder” of a cellular phone means the natural person whose name is on the account associated with the cell phone number or mailing address.
3. ENTRY PERIOD: Entry period commences at 12:01 a.m. (EDT) on May 17, 2011 and expires at 11:59 PM (EDT) on June 13, 2011 (the “Entry Period”). On or about June 13, 2011 (the “Drawing”), one (1) winner (the “Winner”) will be selected by Sponsor in a random drawing from among all eligible entries. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received by Sponsor during the Entry Period.
4. PRIZE: The Winner will receive roundtrip coach transportation on a commercial airline for Winner and one (1) guest, and one (1) standard, double-occupancy hotel room accommodation for two (2) nights in Nantucket, MA (the “Prize”). The approximate retail value (ARV) of the Prize is Four Thousand Five Hundred Dollars (US $4,500.00); actual ARV will vary depending on the Winner’s point of departure and dates of travel.
5. RESTRICTIONS: The following terms and conditions apply to all travel prizes awarded: Trip may not be combined with any other offer and travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles. All travel must be completed between July 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. Seat selection and timing of trip subject to availability and blackout dates. Winner and guest must travel together from the Winner’s city of residence. Travel must originate and terminate in the commercial airline’s city nearest to the Winner’s city of residence providing direct service to Nantucket, MA. Direct service is travel on a published routing between two points and any connection must be a standard connection for that route. Stopovers are not permitted. If the Winner’s city of residence is a city near Nantucket, MA (as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion), the Sponsor may replace coach air transportation with ground transportation and no compensation or substitution will be provided for difference in Prize value. All other expenses and costs not expressly listed above, including but not limited to tips, entertainment, transfers and transportation to airport from and to Winner’s city of residence, are travelers’ sole responsibility. Sponsor is not responsible for lost or mutilated travel certificates and none will be replaced. No refunds or credit for changes are allowed. All taxes (federal, state and local), fees and surcharges on prizes, including but not limited to government imposed airport taxes and fees, food and beverage, and telephone and internet connections/usage are the sole responsibility of Winner and guest. Travel and use of accommodation are at risk of travelers, and Sponsor assumes no liability. All insurance and any applicable airport charges including excess baggage charges and airport taxes will the sole responsibility of the traveler. Guest must be at least 18 years of age at the time of travel. The Prize is non-transferable. Substitution of the Prize, or any portion thereof, by the Winner or any guest is prohibited. No cash redemption permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute the Prize (or any portion thereof) with another prize of comparable or greater value, at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. If travel is not complete by June 30, 2012, Winner will be deemed to have declined acceptance of the Prize and the Prize will be forfeited and Sponsor will have no further obligation to Winner.
6. SELECTION OF WINNER: On or about June 13, 2011 (the “Drawing”), one (1) winner (the “Winner”) will be selected by Sponsor in a random drawing from among all eligible entries. Odds of winning will depend on the total number of eligible entries received by Sponsor during the Entry Period. Notification of Winner will occur on or about June 13, 2011, via the mobile device that submitted the Text Message Entry or the QR code entry or the telephone number (or email address) provided with the online entry. Winner’s failure to acknowledge receipt/acceptance of Prize within five (5) days after notification is sent by Sponsor, or the return of any Prize notification as undeliverable, will result in disqualification of the Winner without further notice and an alternate Winner will be selected at random from among the remaining eligible Entrants. Winner must, within ten (10) days following notification by Sponsor, prove eligibility to the satisfaction of the Sponsor, including verification of age and residence. At the discretion of Sponsor, Winner and guest may be required to: (i) sign an affidavit (a) releasing Sponsor and Excluded Parties from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for personal injury, death and/or damage, theft, or loss suffered in connection with this Sweepstakes, and/or the use or acceptance of the Prize or any portion thereof and (b), where permitted by law, granting Sponsor the right to use Winner’s and/or guest’s name, voice and likeness for advertising and publicity purposes in any and all media whether now existing or hereafter invented, in perpetuity without compensation, and (c) establishing eligibility and compliance with these Official Rules and (ii) provide to Sponsor upon request any and all legal documents which Sponsor may require (including a W 9 tax form) in connection with acceptance and use of the Prize. Noncompliance with any condition will result in disqualification and selection of an alternate Winner.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS: By participating in this Sweepstakes, Entrant agrees to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsors, which are final in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. Sponsor is not responsible for typographical errors in the rules or any nature of technical malfunction, human error, lost/delayed data transmission, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failure of any telephone network, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the internet or at any website or any combination thereof, including injury or damage to Entrant’s or to any other person’s mobile device related to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes. If for any reason the Sweepstakes is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other cause beyond the control of the Sponsor that corrupts or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Sweepstakes, Sponsor reserves the right, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes in any manner. Should the Sweepstakes be terminated or cancelled prior to the stated expiration date, notice will be made at www.thayerbook.com. Entries that have been tampered with or altered will be deemed void. The use of any system or agent to submit entries in connection with this Sweepstakes is prohibited and will result in disqualification. Sponsor reserves the right, in Sponsor’s sole discretion, to disqualify any individual deemed to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes.
8. NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY BY SPONSOR: Sponsor makes no warranties, representations or guarantees with respect to the merchantability, quality, or fitness for a particular purpose of the Prize or any component of the Prize. By accepting the Prize, Entrant releases and discharges Sponsor and Excluded Parties from any and all liability whatsoever in connection with the Prize, including without limitation legal claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages, demands or actions of any kind.
9. OWNERSHIP OF ENTRIES: Immediately upon entry, all entries become the property of Sponsors and will not be acknowledged or returned except as herein described.
10. Name of Winner: For the name of the Winner, available after June 20, 2011, send a stamped, self addressed envelope to:
Random House Publishing Group,
A Division of Random House, Inc.
New York, New York 10019
Attn: Marketing Manager
Washington and Vermont residents may omit return postage.
11. Governing Law: All disputes and questions regarding the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or concerning the rights and obligations of any participant and/or the Sponsor, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than New York. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these Official Rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any provision of these Official Rules is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these Official Rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the invalid or unenforceable provision was not contained there.
12. Sponsor: This Sweepstakes is sponsored by Random House, Inc., 1745 Broadway, New York, New York 10019.